Related Links

  • Total
  • Elsevier Ltd is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Related Stories

News

Total awarded solar power generation plant in South Africa

Total SA has been selected as the preferred bidder for an 86 MWp ground-mounted solar power project by South Africa’s Department of Energy (DoE).

Total’s affiliate, SunPower Corporation, provided the photovoltaic specifications for the project. SunPower also is expected to provide engineering, procurement, construction (EPC) services and long-term operation and maintenance for the project.

This solar power project of 86 MWp will deliver clean, reliable energy to the community. The solar power plant is expected to generate approximately 210 GWh of power each year.

“We are pleased to have been selected for this solar project by the Department of Energy. This project proves we can deliver, with our affiliate SunPower, the best technology at a competitive price”, said Philippe Boisseau, president, marketing & services and new energies and a member of the executive committee of Total. “Total has been present in South Africa for almost 50 years and remains very committed to the country. As a world leader in the solar industry, we are pleased to assist South Africa in the diversification of its energy mix, with the development of increased solar capacity in the country, along other energy sources. We believe there is a huge potential in the solar market.”

The project is secured under a co-development agreement with South African Mulilo Renewable Energy. Total will own 27% of the project, along with five partners: Calulo Renewable Energy with 25%, Mulilo Renewable Energy with 18%, the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) with 15%, Futuregrowth Asset Management (Pty) Ltd with 10% and a Local Community Trust will own 5% of the project.

The project is estimated to cost approximately US$200 million. It will be financed 80% through non-recourse project debt from South African banks. The remaining 20% equity portion will be funded by Total, Calulo Renewable Energy, Mulilo Renewable Energy, the IDC, Futuregrowth Asset Management (Pty) Ltd and a Local Community Trust, based on their respective ownership interests.

Share this article

More services

 

This article is featured in:
Policy, investment and markets  •  Solar electricity

 

Comment on this article

You must be registered and logged in to leave a comment about this article.