From a total of 391 submissions from 69 countries, the following six have been selected:
- Amory B Lovins, Chairman and Chief Scientist of the Rocky Mountain Institute in Colorado, USA, for his ‘integrative design’ for energy efficiency in buildings;
- Barefoot College, a fully solar electrified College in India, training women in rural areas to contribute to solar energy development;
- E+Co, an investment company from New Jersey, USA, pioneering clean energy investments in the developing world;
- First Solar of Arizona, USA, for its commitment to solar energy and the development of more efficient thin-film solar modules;
- Terry Tamminen, CEO and Founder of the 7th Generation Advisors, for developing renewable energy solutions in California, USA;
- Vestas of Denmark, for brining clean energy to developing countries.
As can be seen above, four of the 6 finalists are based in the USA.
The winner will receive US$1.5 million and two runner ups will receive up to US$350,000.