The Italian Interministerial Committee for Economic Planning (CIPE) has already authorised a subsidy for the thin-film solar cell plant.
- Location: Catania, Sicily Region, Italy
- Date of establishment: 30 July 2010
- Investment ratio: Sharp 33.33%, EGP 33.33%, ST 33.33%
- Plant location: Catania, Sicily Region, Italy
- Start of operations: The second half of 2011
- Production item: Thin-film solar cells
- Annual production capacity: 160 MW (initial phase)
3Sun is scheduled start production of thin-film solar cells in the second half of 2011 by utilising the existing facility of ST in Catania, Sicily Region, Italy.
The thin-film solar cell plant will start operation with an initial annual production capacity of 160 MW, which could be expanded to an annual production capacity of 480 MW in the future.
The thin-film solar cells will be marketed mainly in Europe and the Mediterranean area through the sales networks of Sharp and EGP.
Enel Green Power & Sharp Solar Energy S.r.l.
- Location: Rome, Lazio Region, Italy
- Date of establishment: 22 July 2010
- Investment ratio: EGP 50%, Sharp 40%, Sharp Electronics (Italia) S.p.A.(5) 10%
- Power plant location: Europe, the Middle East and Africa with a focus on the Mediterranean area
- Power generation capacity: Total of more than 500 MW by the end of 2016
In addition, Sharp and EGP have established Enel Green Power & Sharp Solar Energy S.r.l (ESSE), a JV that will be engaged in the independent power producer (IPP) business to develop, build and operate solar photovoltaic (PV) power generation plants.
ESSE will establish power generation plants with a total power generation capacity of more than 500 MW by the end of 2016 using the thin-film solar cells produced by the 3Sun plant in Catania, and it will extend its IPP business to Europe, the Middle East and Africa with a focus on the Mediterranean area.